The ride began in Billings bright and early Saturday morning. Russ and I rode with a rather fast group for the first part of the day (22-24 mph average). Unfortunately, I dropped something and had to ride back to get it. While trying to catch up (what was I thinking?!), I pulled a hamstring. OUCH! So, Russ and I rode together without the group for the rest of the day, but at a more normal 17-20 mph.
The weather was impeccably gorgeous! After two years of rain, snow, sleet, etc., we definitely appreciated the sunshine this year!
Anyhow, the first day we rode to Red Lodge, MT. It is about a 2500-ft climb from Billings. Then there is the option of riding up the mountain to the gate where they close the highway when it snows. That's another 1500-ft climb. Although it is definitely the most difficult part of the ride, it is also the most fun, has absolutely breathtaking scenery, and it is SO worth it when you get to turn around and ride back down. With the additional 25 miles going to the gate and back to Red Lodge, we get our true MS-150 (150 miles).
On Sunday we rode back to Billings via a different route. We went up one last hill, then went DOWN for miles. Russ topped out at 51 mph, and I made it to 46. That part of the ride is amazing!
Russ and I managed to get two flat tires each, plus we both wiped out once. Funny, since that doesn't usually happen. Fortunately, neither of our wrecks were serious at all. I went down when I got pinched between a car and Russ' back wheel. I clipped his tire and went off the side of the road. I have a few bruises and ripped my number off my jersey, but that's about all. Russ wrecked when we took a turn. He had a flat tire and didn't realize it, so his bike slid right from underneath him. He has some road rash, and a few chunks missing from his handlebar tape. We were happy that we could hop back on our bikes and keep riding.
Overall the ride was a great success. Russ has seriously upped his game this year by riding almost every morning. I'm just happy I was able to do the ride--3 months after giving birth. Thanks again to all of you who so generously donated to the National Multiple Sclerosis Society! Now the fun part--pictures....enjoy!
1. The team getting ready to begin the ride Saturday morning.
2. This is the group we rode with at first. I loved the shadows to the right. Also, if you'll look at the guy's jersey in front of me--it's a straight jacket. I like it!
3. Russ talking to Elin at lunch. (She is holding Evie!) She and her husband drove to Red Lodge as the team rode, so she was kind enough to take Evie with her in the car. I wasn't too sure about leaving my baby overnight yet, so this worked out beautifully. Sydney and Tara stayed with Susan J. here in town. Her husband Chris rode with us on our team, so I guess in a way we traded. :) The girls had a marvelous time though, and were quite reluctant to return home with boring old Mom and Dad.
On Sunday morning as we were loading up gear and heading to breakfast we ran into a black bear and her two cubs. They were right next to our hotel. We really enjoyed watching them, but from a safe distance. The bears crossed the street and disappeared into the forest. Then as Russ and I were riding to breakfast we saw the mother bear 15-20 feet from the road. We stopped and I tried to get a good picture. I was unsuccessful, but then realized the two cubs were playing in the trees, so I shot the video. We were a bit nervous being so close to three bears, but fortunately it was downhill, so if we needed to make a quick getaway on our bikes we could.
What a FANTASTIC weekend!
2 comments:
You two are just plain crazy. Why can't you be a lazy new mom like the rest of us? You're making us look bad! Actually, I'm glad you had a good ride without any real damage. You're an amazing girl Sarah.
That is awesome! 22-24 miles an hour. you are very fast. Right now my fast pace is 18 miles an hour haha. I have a lot of work to do to keep up with you next year. Look forward to riding with you!
Post a Comment