Monday, May 25, 2009

Memorial Day Bike Ride

This morning I decided to go for a short ride, or so I thought. I've been stressed out with studying for my second to last exam, pushing out a project at work, and keeping up with all the projects we are working on at home so I decided this would be a nice break. I didn't want to push it too hard but still wanted a challenge so I decided to ride to Pictograph Caves just outside of town. Its a twenty mile ride with some good hills. Once I got to the top of the hill, this is what I saw.
So I decided to ride into Lockwood, the next town over, and ride up the hill to look over the valley. I've riden up the backside before and come down the looooong hill back into Lockwood before but I decided to ride up the looooooong hill this time. I'm about halfway up the hill in the picture below and my destination is the top. There are a couple of houses on the ridge to the right where I crested.

I saw some really nice scenery on the way up and with our rainstorm last night, everything was green. I stopped to watch a few deer that were watching me just as closely.

I also came upon several of these forested areas just tucked off the road. Its a really pretty ride.

At the top you can see for miles to the south. Off to the left are the Pryor Mountains and just barely in the picture to the right are the Beartooth Mountains.

Turning back around to come home this is what I saw. If you look closely, you can see the TV antennas on the next ridge. We live at the bottom of the valley on the other side of the antennas. If you look hard you can see the LDS temple on the far side of the valley to the right of the antennas. I was at the antennas when I hit the road closed sign and had to turn around and go back down the hill.
It ended up being a 30 mile ride and I am now pooped. And the day is just beginning. Sarah, the girls, and I are now off to Lowes to buy some plants so we'll be busy in the yard the rest of the day. Happy Memorial Day.

2 comments:

joanne said...

way to go Russ! sounds like you had a great start to the day!

Kimber Bowen said...

Wow. That is incredible. Good job Russ. That sure is beautiful scenery.