Friday, August 6, 2010

Island Park (part 1)

The 4th of July was a fun holiday for our family this year. It was eventful with endless blog-worthy photos, so I have opted to divide the celebrations into different posts. This, the first, I call "Island Park, part one" aka: spur of the moment trip with friends Mike and Marcia. Russ and Mike were biking in the morning, as they so often do, and Mike invited our family to join them at their cabin in Island Park. So we threw our things together and tried to get on the road quickly that evening, but we didn't make it to the cabin until midnight or so.

Here is Evie the next morning ready to go outside to play. We had to keep locking her in the cabin because outside was a baby danger-zone--high deck. Once we came back inside and she had gotten herself stuck to a mouse/spider sticky trap. Both hands and her face. Poor girl! (but so funny!) We went for a bike ride/hike with Mike as he was showing us around. Russ took Tara and Evie in one direction, Mike, Sydney, and I went in another with the bikes. Sydney ran for a while, walked, then finally gave in and rode on the bike with Mike. She was scared, but loved it! While on their hike, Russ and Tara found a tree-face. Apparently it was quite a riot as Russ talked for the tree, and Tara responded. I'm sure it was a lovely conversation.
We met up and explored a little. Russ with Evie, Sydney with Mike, and Tara was on my bike with me.
Mike took Sydney for a fast, bumpy ride down the hill. It was rough, but she remained in one piece! Tara chickened out and walked with Russ.
I guess Russ got his workout in for the day. Dad of the year, or what?!
Sydney and Mike jumped out to surprise everyone! Nothing pleases a seven-year-old more than adults who play like kids. :)
Over the fence...
Playing pass the baby
Syd hanging with her new favorite buddy, Mike
Mike took the girls on a shortcut back to the cabin and Russ and I rode a mtn bike trail for a while. It was a lot of fun, but also wet. We crossed a stream and somehow Russ stayed dry, and I got completely soaked & muddy. This picture is Russ crossing a different stream. It was much bigger and we weren't going to ride through it, so we found this little dam and crossed on it. Very unstable, but we survived.
Met back up with the girls and Mike and thus ended our first adventure....then we got ready to run the river.

No comments: