I am a counselor in my ward's Relief Society, and was asked to write a letter to the sisters for our newsletter. I thought I would share it here.
***********************************************************************
In his address to the Nephites, King Benjamin eloquently teaches the gospel. He explains what is required of Christ’s disciples, filling several chapters in the book of Mosiah. Then, with great wisdom, after teaching about being good parents, giving to the needy, administering to the sick, becoming humble, repentant, and submissive to the will of God, King Benjamin says: “And see that all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength. And again, it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefore, all things must be done in order.” (Mosiah 4:27)
It is so easy for us to look at ourselves and find every fault and weakness. We know our shortcomings and flaws all too well. As sisters in the gospel, we especially have the tendency to be too hard on ourselves. I am amazed at the incredible group of women that surround me. I see talent, kindness, compassion, intelligence, humility, determination, perseverance, charity, wisdom, and strength. With such wonderful examples I often feel that I fall short. I am sure we all feel this way at times.
I want to remind you that all things should be done in wisdom and order. You cannot wake up and decide to be perfect that day. Do not try to run faster than you have strength. But keep running! Don’t quit because it is hard. I urge you to continue improving yourself daily. Complacency is one of Satan’s most effective snares.
And what if the ‘race’ becomes too difficult? Two years ago I ran a marathon and near the end of the race I became extremely sick. More than anything I wanted to finish the race that I had trained so hard to run. Physically I was a mess and was struggling to continue. My sister came to find me, knowing something was wrong. As I fell to the ground in agony, vomiting and dehydrated, I thought I was finished. But my sister pulled me up, put her arm around my waist, and helped me cross that finish line.
Our Heavenly Father knows your limitations. He expects you to do your best and when that is not enough he will send one of your sisters to pull you up, put her arm around your waist, and help you cross that finish line.
***********************************************************************
In his address to the Nephites, King Benjamin eloquently teaches the gospel. He explains what is required of Christ’s disciples, filling several chapters in the book of Mosiah. Then, with great wisdom, after teaching about being good parents, giving to the needy, administering to the sick, becoming humble, repentant, and submissive to the will of God, King Benjamin says: “And see that all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength. And again, it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefore, all things must be done in order.” (Mosiah 4:27)
It is so easy for us to look at ourselves and find every fault and weakness. We know our shortcomings and flaws all too well. As sisters in the gospel, we especially have the tendency to be too hard on ourselves. I am amazed at the incredible group of women that surround me. I see talent, kindness, compassion, intelligence, humility, determination, perseverance, charity, wisdom, and strength. With such wonderful examples I often feel that I fall short. I am sure we all feel this way at times.
I want to remind you that all things should be done in wisdom and order. You cannot wake up and decide to be perfect that day. Do not try to run faster than you have strength. But keep running! Don’t quit because it is hard. I urge you to continue improving yourself daily. Complacency is one of Satan’s most effective snares.
And what if the ‘race’ becomes too difficult? Two years ago I ran a marathon and near the end of the race I became extremely sick. More than anything I wanted to finish the race that I had trained so hard to run. Physically I was a mess and was struggling to continue. My sister came to find me, knowing something was wrong. As I fell to the ground in agony, vomiting and dehydrated, I thought I was finished. But my sister pulled me up, put her arm around my waist, and helped me cross that finish line.
Our Heavenly Father knows your limitations. He expects you to do your best and when that is not enough he will send one of your sisters to pull you up, put her arm around your waist, and help you cross that finish line.
Love, Sarah
No comments:
Post a Comment